Ours went well, not without a hitch but hey — I never expected things to go smoothly. Earlier this week I couldn’t find sweet potatoes. Finally found some yesterday (at Wal-mart). I put them in the oven to bake, telling the two oldest that when the buzzer goes off to turn the oven off, and went to a friend’s house. Naturally, they forgot (D said, “Oh turn the oven off? I thought you meant turn the buzzer off.”) and my potatoes turned into hollow shells reminiscent of a sweet potato. I placed them cool outside overnight hoping that some of them could be salvaged. Today Franny and I were able to scrape out only a few cups worth of potatoes, so Frank had to make a trip back to Wal-mart (naturally open on Thanksgiving, of coarse).
Power blew out in the kitchen. Mini crisis/heart attack for that ordeal.
But it all worked out. Food was cooked, company came, we ate and were merry. I was hoping to play some board games, but everyone is just tuckered out.
Snagged this from Robyn:
1. How will you be spending your Thanksgiving this year?
My parents, Frank’s dad and a co-worker (and wife) of Frank’s are coming over. We also had an impromptu visit from a friend of Frank’s who brought over two of his kids for a little while.
2. Will you be cooking or are you just an eater?
I’m both!! I made turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry relish, macaroni and cheese and green beans. My mom and the co-worker friends are bringing some of the other foods (buns, another turkey, pies, stuffing).
3. Do you watch the parade every year or football!!
The boys watched football.
4. What’s your favorite float?
I don’t pay attention enough to have one.
5. Dark meat or white meat?
6. Leg or breast?
7. What is your favorite dish besides the turkey?
Hmmmm. The foods all kind of come as a “whole” as far as I’m concerned. Heh. I dig sweet potatoes.
8. Homemade cranberry sauce or cranberry sauce from the can?
9. Do you decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving day?
We’ve been known to pick up our tree on Thanksgiving. I did put some lights up on the banister and I plugged in the wooden Christmas tree that’s sat in our livingroom all year.
10. What are some special family traditions?
We don’t really have any. Generally we’d drive through the light display that’s put on every year at a local park. But today we were too busy to remember to do that.
11. Pumpkin pie or pecan?
No way can I choose. A little of both — with whipped cream.
12. What is your favorite thing to do with the leftovers?
Get them put away so I don’t have to look at them for a while. I make soup sometimes. And sometimes I just heat them up again to savor the taste of Thanksgiving again.
13. How long will you spend eating your thanksgiving meal?
I have no clue.
14. Are you worried about putting on weight this Thanksgiving?
15. What do you normally eat at Thanksgiving?
A little of everything.
16. What will you be thankful for this Thanksgiving?
The here and now. My family, health, love, the simple things.
17. What is your best Thanksgiving memory?
They all kind of blend together.
18. Do you give cards or presents at Thanksgiving?
Huh? Goodness no.
19. Are you planning on going shopping the day after Thanksgiving?
Probably not at the stores. The crowds kind of freak me out a bit. I’ll probably look online, though, ’cause there’s a couple things I really need to order NOW.
20. Will you be waking up early to hit the sales?